My Spiced Carrot Soup
This is my favourite ‘feel good’ soup. It’s easy to make and tastes great. I love to have it hot in winter or straight out of the fridge in summer. If i’ve been working out Its great over quinoa. This soup is high in Vitamin A which is great for maintaining a healthy immune system.
I also like to drizzle in some Flaxseed oil just before serving. The nutty taste works really well and Flaxseed oil is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which support overall well being. I find Flaxseed oil to be quite helpful for inflammatory and digestive issues.
-6-8 Large Carrots (roughly chopped)
-1 large brown onion (roughly chopped)
-2 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
-6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (I usually try to use a salt reduced version)
-1-2 tsp Garam Masala spice mix
-2 tbs Olive oil for cooking
-Salt and Pepper to Taste
1.Heat the olive oil in a Pot (that will be able to fit the carrots and stock) add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook on a slow heat until the onion turns golden brown.
2. Add the chopped carrots and Garam Masala
3. Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until you can poke a knife through the carrots.
4. Drain half the cooking liquid into a separate container.
5. Blend the carrots and remaining stock with hand-held blender.
– If you would prefer the consistency to be slightly thinner just add some of the stock that you set aside.
6. Drizzle some flaxseed oil into you bowl and you all set 🙂
*options: Sometimes I use 4 carrots and 2 cups of chopped pumpkin. Or if I really wan’t to pack it full of energy I do half carrot and half sweet potato.
* If I’m out of Garam Masala, I keep it simple and just sprinkle in a little Cumin or Cinnamon.